The Safety of Natural Therapies
Just because something is labeled or deemed "natural' does not mean it comes without risk! Anytime you introduce another substance into your body, whether it be by ingestion, inhalation or skin absorption, there are inherent risks.
If you suffer from ANY of the following conditions, PLEASE seek the advice of your doctor before using ANY natural remedy - whether it be aromatherapy oils and blends or herbal teas, tinctures, supplements, salves, etc.
Epilepsy (some oils/herbs can actually send you into a seizure!)
High Blood Pressure
Low Blood Pressure
Pregnancy/Nursing (there are no safe oils during pregnancy!)
Hormone Replacement Therapy
The golden rules for safety:
1) If you are under the care of a physician, seek his/her advice BEFORE starting therapy.
2) If you are pregnant or nursing, do not utilize natural therapies without the express consent and guidance of your doctor.
3) Keep in mind that many oils are phototoxic - meaning they will increase your sensitivity to the sun. Avoid sun exposure after topical use of essential oils.
4) Do a patch test. Always patch test a new oil or blend on a small area of skin to test for sensitivity. The last thing you want is a huge rash because you didn't know you'd be sensitive to the oil!
5) Natural remedies work well with traditional medicine - the key word being 'with'. If you have any medical conditions, are under a doctor's care for ANY reason, or simply have questions/concerns - talk to your medical professional BEFORE you begin a natural therapy regimen.
Remember - Natural does not mean 'safe'!
Dee is a Doctor of Reflexology, Homeopathic Practitioner, Certified Aromatherapist, and Reiki Master. Her site is www.akobiaromas.com/" target="_new">AkobiAromas.com - a source of quality aromatherapy, herbal and reflexology information and products.