10 Important Sunless Tanning Safety Tips
If you are a sunless tanner, your skin's health is very important to
you. Here are some tips for you to review at your leisure and share
with your friends and family. After you have read them, return once
in awhile for a refresher so that you will keep safety foremost and
always in your sunless tanning program.
1. Shaving - Avoid shaving right before applying sunless tanning
products to avoid irritation.
2. Lighten up - For areas you want to protect from getting too dark,
pre-apply baby oil, gel or lotion to places like your knees and
elbows, then use sunless tanner.
3. Streaking - Getting wet too soon after applying sunless tanning
products could result in streaks. So wait after applications, at
least two hours or so, before swimming, showering or bathing.
4. Orange -To avoid orange hands when applying products, cheap,
disposable gloves from a dime or wholesale store are great to use.
Regardless of glove wearing, thoroughly wash hands and fingernails
5. Expunge - Eliminate dead skin via washing or exfoliating before
applying sunless tanning products.
6. Special Areas - When using self-tanning products with your knees,
feet, hands and elbows, either dilute first with a moisturizing
lotion or use very small amounts when gently rubbing in. Rubbing with
a make-up sponge applicator works well for these areas, too.
7. How-to-Apply - To apply sunless tanning products, begin working
on a small area. Gently, in an even manner, rub in the product
generously. Reach out to other areas in a swirling, but still gentle
and even rub, rather than going in an up-and-down direction. To reach
your back, try using a sponge paint roller or sponge paintbrush; a
little goes a long way, so slow and steady does it.
8. Fabric Stains - Be careful when using sunless tanning agents that
list padimate O, lisadimate, aminobenzoic acid or roxadimate in the
ingredients. These may cause discoloration, staining fabrics a
9. Inside / Outside - Remember that when you use sunless or self-
tanning products, if they list no sunscreen in their ingredients, you
will not be protected from harmful UV rays. And even if you are using
a sunscreen, it does not last or work beyond a few hours. So take
caution running in and out, and be prepared. Either carry along more
sunscreen product to reapply or wear, and carry or take protective
clothing and gear.
10. Eyewear - For those enjoying a lot of outdoor weather, check
into investing in good protective eyewear. Read labels for 100% UV
protection. Check with a pharmacist or healthcare provider for help
selecting appropriate levels for children and yourself.
By carefully considering these sunless tanning tips, you can help
ensure you safely keep that wonderful glow all year long and enjoy
the sizzle without the sun!
James B. Allen is the publisher of Power Living Press.
He invites you to come learn more about living a healthier,
wealthier, more beautiful and more powerful life TODAY by